Movie Night that was previously scheduled for November 15th has needed to be canceled. Look for future information about rescheduling.
05 NOVEMBER 2019 / 6:00 PM / Sunset Library
Full Meeting can be viewed on Facebook Live
President: Erin Weis, Vice President: Clare Bean, Secretary: Laurie Hurley, Treasurer: Stefan Fretz, Dr. Michelle Wilson, Frances Araujo, Amber Leaptrott, Sarah Duffin, Amanda Callahan, Joy Vlcko
Called to Order at 6:09
Clare Bean moved to approve the October Minutes, Frances Araujo seconded. October Meeting Minutes approved.
Financial Report Stefan Fretz
- Fill the Jar met and surpassed the goal. Total to date $4,857.31, waiting for some more corporate matching gifts
- Main expenses to date: Fall Fest and Luau
Classroom Needs Erin Weis
- Most requests for classrooms are for Electronics
- Multiple classrooms need new headphones. 105 sets requested. Discount to about $16 each set.
- WeDo 2.0 Lego Kits: requested last year. Use kits to learn programing. 28 sets were requested
- Looking at totals: planning to purchase all the headphones and a portion of the Lego Kits.
Fall Festival Feedback
- People seemed to like having it all in the gym.
- Looking for another Co-Chair next year.
- Want to keep the same format
- Eco Notes: (For all the events) Recycle Bins, using paper for tablecloths
Winter Movie Night
- Chairs can no longer do it.
- Canceling the November 15th – Looking at new dates
- Idea presented for turning it into parents night out.
Northwest Children’s Theater: Erin Weis
- Looking for a chair/co-chair for this event.
- In March-April
- Lost Money last year. Cost $45 per student participating.
- Looking to find out this month if children are interested in doing it this year.
- Possibility to move to every other year.
Upcoming & Ongoing Fundraisers Erin Weis
- Forms went home with kids art on stickers
- Forms due Friday, 11/8
- Online due Monday, 11/11
- Can order online later, but miss out on the mass shipping deal
- You can get the students past artwork, call Kids Kreation and they can help you find the id.
- It is possible to add other artwork (other children, adult).
- Use Amazon Smile and .5% to Sunset
- Needs to use Amazon Smile.org (not able to access it through Amazon App).
- Fundraiser were the purchase of Gift Card earns a percentage back for Sunset.
- Look for information on how to purchase via Facebook and as a flyer coming home
Boxtops for Education
- Box Tops is phasing out the program that requires you clip the BoxTops. The program will continue to accept the clipped BoxTops so continue to send them into school.
- Download the BoxTops for Education App to scan your receipt instead of clipping anymore.
Phonics Kits Erin Weis
- Check with teachers if they need help with their phonics kits.
- Possibility of doing it over Thanksgiving Break.
Principal Update Dr. Michelle Wilson
- Thank You for effort by community over the last 6 weeks: Fill the Jars, events, meals for the staff, and all the parent volunteers.
- Dr Michelle would like parents to know It is a priority for the staff: discussions, planning and drills.
- Lock Out Drill today. Lock Outs: Building is locked down, students remain in the building continuing with their school day.
- 6 Safety meetings for the District so since last year. Discussions (Table Talk) for staff to stay up on safety and problem solving
- Fire Marshall is a parent. Planning a Table Talk with him and the staff during one of the early release days.
- Coffee with Dr Michelle:
- Tuesday, December 3rd after the next PTSO meeting
- Discussion about: Positive School Cultures & Behavior Support
- Everyone is welcome
- Kindness Project (a new focus and project at Sunset):
- Look for the newly created tree (and the eagles perched in the top)in Front Hall – There will be Leaves of Kindness to be blowing into Sunset
- Each Grade Level will be having an initiative: 3rd grade is starting with Stewardship and helping community, 5th grade canned food drive
- If you have input about topics for discussions or learning, please bring them to Dr. Michelle or Erin
- Dr. Michelle is going with 10 fifth graders and Learning Specialist to Inclusive Community Summitt run by Special Olympics. Will bring information back to Sunset.
Teacher Appreciation Committee
- Start in January they will be organizing a special thing each month for the teachers to spread out of appreciation. The committee has come up with a creative theme for each month.
- Jan-New Year, Healthy You: Start Gratitude Jars, Smoothie Bar
- Feb-You Knock Our Socks Off
- March-Lucky Us: Starbucks
- May-Official Teacher Appreciation Week – Hollywood Theme: Door decorating, treats….
- Teachers Favorite Things: They will be creating lists of things each teacher loves. Great for gift giving ideas.
- Apologize for the delay in getting the directory updated. Sunset just began using it last year so still working out the kinks.
- Calling company determine how get it updates.
NEXT MEETING: December 3 (8:00 AM) Sunset Library
Meeting finished 7:03
Tuesday, November 5th
6:00 PM in the Library
Aloha!! Come say goodbye to summer and hello to the new school year with other sunset families at the Back to School Luau! There will be a bouncy house, face painting, and Kona Ice Shaved Ice for purchase (they give back 25% to our school)!
9/13/19 5:30PM to 7PM
You can bring your own meals or purchase the meals catered by Bamboo Grove Hawaiian Grille. Adult meals are $10 and kids are $7 and they include:
- Shoyu Chicken
- Yakisoba with Veggies
- Mac Salad
To purchase your meals in advance, pay using the Venmo app, username @Sunset-PTSO
Or send cash or check to school with your child.
You can round up your purchase to put towards scholarships for families in need.
September Meeting 08/26/19
26 August 2019 / 8:17 AM / Library
President: Erin Weis, VP: Clare Bean, Sec: Laurie Hurley, VC: Seamus Barron, Cheryl Fretz, Michelle Engblom-Deglmann, Adam Deglmann, Liz Jacob, Jeff Jacob, Jennie Madrigal, Jenna Gilchrist, Angela Luchenbill, Kara Clark, Cheryl Landazuri, Sheryl Montour, Laura Huffstutter, Emily Guerrero, Lisa Long, Shannon Brogden, Shannon Ilas, Michelle Toney
Board Member Voting
Voted Clare Bean as Vice President and Seamus Barron as Volunteer Coordinator
- We hope everyone has seen the improvements to the Sunset Garden, and the artwork that is starting to be installed. The artwork was created last year by the students using recycled materials.
- Committee Update: New committees are being formed this year so teachers and parents can work together, and anyone interested is welcome to join.
- Garden Committee: Joy Vlcko and Cheryl Fretz
- Working to continue to develop the Sunset Garden
- Art Committee: Karen Detjens, Stephanie Valverde, Mollie Hyman, Carrie Gilbert, Kathleen Miller
- Art Carts and materials were purchased by PTSO in the past
- Woking to implement art in the classroom
- Outdoor Learning Space Committee: Angela Ellinger Luchenbill, Tracie Reed, Clare Bean, Joy Vlcko, Kathleen Miller
- Picnic tables that were purchased by PTSO have been put together and are in the space.
- Learning Landscape, a company that has been working with the West Linn Parks and Rec, is willing to consult with the committee. Considering some grants to help develop the outdoor learning space.
- Assembly Committee: WIllow McCormick and Mollie Hyman
- Working to have more outside groups to come in for educational assemblies.
- Garden Committee: Joy Vlcko and Cheryl Fretz
- Fundraisers: There are two big fundraisers throughout the year. Fill the Jars in the fall and Fun Run in the spring.
- $27,000 raised between those two last year. Funds used for garden improvements, Artist in Residence, new yearbook cameras, Lego Robotics kits for after school enrichment, classroom headphones, Kindergarten and 1st grade books.
- This year’s fundraising could be used for:
- Continuing to build up the outdoor learning space.
- STEAM stationary bikes (Green Micro Gym) used to read while pedaling to generate energy. Possibly work with a solar company to do a year long fundraiser.
- Grant request from 1/ 2 for more lego robotics classroom kits.
- Back to School BBQ – September 13th at 5:30:
- Sign up sheet was available at the meeting for volunteers
- It will be catered. $10 will be the price for the food. Prepaid orders will be going home.
- Kona Shaved Ice will be there for purchase – will give a percentage back to Sunset
- Additional activities: Bouncy House, face painters, temporary tattoos
- Phonics Kits:
- Dr Wilson asked for help preparing phonics kits that were purchased by the district for the teachers.
- After drop off this week people will be staying to work on them. Simply separating perforated cards and grouping them.
- We will start using Facebook Live Stream for the next meeting.
- Dr Michelle Wilson
- Welcomed everyone back, and she will be available at meetings throughout the year.
- Staff has been working not only last week, but throughout the whole summer attending conferences and reading profession development materials to prepare for the school year.
- There are many new staff members this year
- One of the issues that the District and the staff at Sunset will be focusing on is equity to support all children. District website has additional information about how all children is being supported to feel like a valued member of the school community.
- This year Sunset’s enrollment had grown to 410 students (not including preschool).
- Teacher Representative: Instead of having multiple Classroom Liaisons we will have one Teacher Representative. Michelle Engblom-Deglmann will be woking to communicate directly with the teachers.
- Social Media/Communication: **Any public sites will NOT have pictures of students
- Instagram: Sunset PTSO public site
- Facebook: Sunset PTSO private group page & Sunset Primary School public page
- Website: www.sunsetptso.org board email addresses, calendar with meetings and events (can be linked to various phone and computer calendars), forms, online payments, meeting minutes
- Sept 13 (5:30-7:00 PM) Back to School BBQ
- Oct 1 (8:00-9:00 AM) October Meeting