05 NOVEMBER 2019 / 6:00 PM / Sunset Library
Full Meeting can be viewed on Facebook Live
President: Erin Weis, Vice President: Clare Bean, Secretary: Laurie Hurley, Treasurer: Stefan Fretz, Dr. Michelle Wilson, Frances Araujo, Amber Leaptrott, Sarah Duffin, Amanda Callahan, Joy Vlcko
Called to Order at 6:09
Clare Bean moved to approve the October Minutes, Frances Araujo seconded. October Meeting Minutes approved.
Financial Report Stefan Fretz
- Fill the Jar met and surpassed the goal. Total to date $4,857.31, waiting for some more corporate matching gifts
- Main expenses to date: Fall Fest and Luau
Classroom Needs Erin Weis
- Most requests for classrooms are for Electronics
- Multiple classrooms need new headphones. 105 sets requested. Discount to about $16 each set.
- WeDo 2.0 Lego Kits: requested last year. Use kits to learn programing. 28 sets were requested
- Looking at totals: planning to purchase all the headphones and a portion of the Lego Kits.
Fall Festival Feedback
- People seemed to like having it all in the gym.
- Looking for another Co-Chair next year.
- Want to keep the same format
- Eco Notes: (For all the events) Recycle Bins, using paper for tablecloths
Winter Movie Night
- Chairs can no longer do it.
- Canceling the November 15th – Looking at new dates
- Idea presented for turning it into parents night out.
Northwest Children’s Theater: Erin Weis
- Looking for a chair/co-chair for this event.
- In March-April
- Lost Money last year. Cost $45 per student participating.
- Looking to find out this month if children are interested in doing it this year.
- Possibility to move to every other year.
Upcoming & Ongoing Fundraisers Erin Weis
- Forms went home with kids art on stickers
- Forms due Friday, 11/8
- Online due Monday, 11/11
- Can order online later, but miss out on the mass shipping deal
- You can get the students past artwork, call Kids Kreation and they can help you find the id.
- It is possible to add other artwork (other children, adult).
- Use Amazon Smile and .5% to Sunset
- Needs to use Amazon Smile.org (not able to access it through Amazon App).
- Fundraiser were the purchase of Gift Card earns a percentage back for Sunset.
- Look for information on how to purchase via Facebook and as a flyer coming home
Boxtops for Education
- Box Tops is phasing out the program that requires you clip the BoxTops. The program will continue to accept the clipped BoxTops so continue to send them into school.
- Download the BoxTops for Education App to scan your receipt instead of clipping anymore.
Phonics Kits Erin Weis
- Check with teachers if they need help with their phonics kits.
- Possibility of doing it over Thanksgiving Break.
Principal Update Dr. Michelle Wilson
- Thank You for effort by community over the last 6 weeks: Fill the Jars, events, meals for the staff, and all the parent volunteers.
- Dr Michelle would like parents to know It is a priority for the staff: discussions, planning and drills.
- Lock Out Drill today. Lock Outs: Building is locked down, students remain in the building continuing with their school day.
- 6 Safety meetings for the District so since last year. Discussions (Table Talk) for staff to stay up on safety and problem solving
- Fire Marshall is a parent. Planning a Table Talk with him and the staff during one of the early release days.
- Coffee with Dr Michelle:
- Tuesday, December 3rd after the next PTSO meeting
- Discussion about: Positive School Cultures & Behavior Support
- Everyone is welcome
- Kindness Project (a new focus and project at Sunset):
- Look for the newly created tree (and the eagles perched in the top)in Front Hall – There will be Leaves of Kindness to be blowing into Sunset
- Each Grade Level will be having an initiative: 3rd grade is starting with Stewardship and helping community, 5th grade canned food drive
- If you have input about topics for discussions or learning, please bring them to Dr. Michelle or Erin
- Dr. Michelle is going with 10 fifth graders and Learning Specialist to Inclusive Community Summitt run by Special Olympics. Will bring information back to Sunset.
Teacher Appreciation Committee
- Start in January they will be organizing a special thing each month for the teachers to spread out of appreciation. The committee has come up with a creative theme for each month.
- Jan-New Year, Healthy You: Start Gratitude Jars, Smoothie Bar
- Feb-You Knock Our Socks Off
- March-Lucky Us: Starbucks
- May-Official Teacher Appreciation Week – Hollywood Theme: Door decorating, treats….
- Teachers Favorite Things: They will be creating lists of things each teacher loves. Great for gift giving ideas.
- Apologize for the delay in getting the directory updated. Sunset just began using it last year so still working out the kinks.
- Calling company determine how get it updates.
NEXT MEETING: December 3 (8:00 AM) Sunset Library
Meeting finished 7:03